White-Footed Saki

White-Footed Saki

The White-Footed Saki (Pithecia Albicans) is a New World Monkey in the Pitheciinae subfamily of the Pitheciidae family of monkeys, and is endemic to Brazil. It was once thought to be part of the same species as the White-Faced Saki because they inhabit only a small region of Brazil that is also inhabited by the White-Faced Saki. However, the White-Footed Saki has a few distinct characteristics that make it unique. Most notably, the White-Footed Saki has white colorations on their feet, and the females closely resemble the males; unlike with the aforementioned species. Mating for the White-Footed Saki is non-seasonal, and can happen at any time during the year. After approximately a 180 day gestation, the females bear single young which is considered weaned after 4 months and fully mature at the age of 3. The life expectancy of the White-Footed Saki is up to 30 years.

Habitat

The White-Footed Saki can only be found in a very small region in central northwestern Brazil. They inhabit an area that is also home to the White-Faced Saki and were once considered part of that species. Considered diurnal, the White-Footed Saki spends nearly its entire life in the rainforest canopy where if feeds on its primary source of food, fruit. It is not uncommon for a White-Footed Saki to live its entire life without ever standing on solid ground or descending near the forest floor. The White-Footed Saki is specially adapted to jump great distances from one tree to another which allows it to stay in the canopy indefinitely.

Diet

Though the White-Footed Saki is a frugivore and makes up its diet with nearly 90% fruit, it has a unique preference that is exclusive to species of Saki monkeys. The White-Footed Saki predominately feeds on unripe fruit and its seeds, making it the only primate in a given region to utilize this source of nutrition. The other 10% of their diet is comprised of bird eggs, lizards, spiders, and other small insects; as well as leaves, ripened fruits, and other vegetation. The unique diet of the White-Footed Saki allows for them to eat well even in times of drought when fruit rarely reaches maturity.

Fun White-Footed Saki Facts

  1. The life expectancy of the White-Footed Saki is up to 30 years.
  2. White-Footed Saki and White-Faced Saki were once considered the same species because they inhabit only a small region of Brazil that also is inhabited by the White-Faced Saki.
  3. The White-Footed Saki predominately feeds on unripe fruit and its seeds, making it the only primate in a given region to utilize this source of nutrition.
  4. The White-Footed Saki is a frugivore and makes up its diet with nearly 90% fruit.
  5. Mating for the White-Footed Saki is non-seasonal, and can happen at any time during the year.